Students Prepare to Graduate Early

Jasmine Womack, Staff

The opportunity for early graduation was first offered to students at FZN in 1982. 

The requirements students must fulfill in order to apply for early graduation include:

• Complete at least one year of academic enrollment and six credits in the Fort Zumwalt School District.
  • Earn the prescribed number of credits and meet all requirements necessary for graduation as prescribed by the Fort Zumwalt School Board of Education and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.

If a student has met these requirements, they have the opportunity to send in an application letter to the principal. The letter must include the student’s reasonings for graduating early. Along with this letter of intent, a letter of approval will also be needed from a parent/guardian recommending the early graduation. All applications need to be submitted to the counselor no later than January 1st of the year preceding the student’s graduation year. Early graduates can still participate in school activities with the principal’s approval. 

“There are 30 members of the 378 members of the Class of 2020 who have applied to graduate in December,” said Principle Joe Sutton. 

Assuming that these 30 students occupy FZN parking spaces, there could be a major opening in parking for students who weren’t able to obtain a space in the beginning of the school year. 

But it’s not just parking that will be affected. 

Graduating early can really help students who want to start a career or begin college.

Senior Aspen Singleton, is graduating early this year. 

“Early graduation has allowed me to begin college sooner, which will help me start doing what I love faster,” Singleton said.

Nick Hahn, another early graduating senior, has his reasons as well.

“I’m going into the military and I start boot camp in February,” said Hahn. 

The number of students taking the early graduation option has increased over the years. 

“An interesting fact is that the number of early graduates grew considerably after we went to a 7 period day during the 2011-12 school year,” said North High Principal Joe Sutton.